How to Tie a Karate Obi (Belt)
Your obi (belt) symbolizes your karate spirit and as such it should be treated
with respect. Your obi’s color indicates your karate rank.
Follow the illustrated steps to properly tie your obi.
- Center your obi on your stomach.
- Wrap your obi around your waist.
- Cross your obi behind your back.
- Smooth your obi around your waist.
- Cross your obi on your stomach.
- Wrap the outer layer under the others.
- Bend the top left end down to the right.
- Loop the bottom end around the top end.
- Pull tight and you have a properly tied obi.